So what are the advantages of OHV engines versus L-Head engines? OHV engines are alleged to have the following benefits:
- Higher quality engine (better grade components),
- Higher torque,
- Better fuel effiency,
- Quieter operation,
- Cooler operation,
- Cleaner operation,
- Longer engine life,
- With the final result of requiring fewer major repairs than their L-Head counterparts,
- And allegedly, less expensive to operate.
Disadvantages of OHV versus its L-Head counterpart:
- Not as compact (bigger external size),
- More complex,
- More components (this can also mean there are more components to fail),
- Due to their complexity, typically are more expensive to purchase,
Summary: The advantages of OHV far outweigh its disadvantages. When purchasing engines, and given the the option to purchase one with OHV or and L-Head engine, it is easily worth the extra initial cost to purchase the OHV rather than the L-Head engine.
Next: Next time we will discuss what "OHC" means. Stay tuned while we rev our engines!